Green Acre Dog Boarding has quickly become the scene of a dog owners worst nightmare after a dog chewed through the wires of an air conditioning unit, resulting in the death of 20 dogs.
The destroyed wire allegedly caused the dogs to suffer from heat exhaustion.
MaLeisa Hughes, the owner of the dog boarding home, spoke with Mac & Gaydos to give her side of the story.
Hughes and her family had been on a family vacation in Florida when her daughter and son-in-law, who had been left in charge of the dogs, called to explain the tragedy.
“It’s something I don’t ever want to hear again, they [Hughes’ daughter and son-in-law] were screaming and crying,” said Hughes. “They saw dogs already passed away or dogs struggling and the room was about 100 degrees.”
Saturday morning Hughes’ husband called the dog owners claiming their dogs had run away.
“He told a few people that their dogs had run away and his intention was that he would call them back and spend the time he needed [to explain the situation],” Hughes said.
“That’s the one mistake we’ve made.”
Besides their own personal grief Hughes says there is another reason she can’t sleep at night.
“All night long I have threats against my life,” Hughes said. “I received a phone call threatening that somebody was going to come by and shoot all my children.”
Although she understands the grief these owners are feeling, Hughes’ dog Patrick passed away in the accident as well, she is shocked by their reactions.
“We went from being the greatest thing that ever happen to their dog to murderers.”
Hughes said Green Acre’s will be closing their doors.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident