Green Acre Dog Boarding has quickly become the scene of a dog owners worst nightmare after a dog chewed through the wires of an air conditioning unit, resulting in the death of 20 dogs.
The destroyed wire allegedly caused the dogs to suffer from heat exhaustion.
MaLeisa Hughes, the owner of the dog boarding home, spoke with Mac & Gaydos to give her side of the story.
Hughes and her family had been on a family vacation in Florida when her daughter and son-in-law, who had been left in charge of the dogs, called to explain the tragedy.
“It’s something I don’t ever want to hear again, they [Hughes’ daughter and son-in-law] were screaming and crying,” said Hughes. “They saw dogs already passed away or dogs struggling and the room was about 100 degrees.”
Saturday morning Hughes’ husband called the dog owners claiming their dogs had run away.
“He told a few people that their dogs had run away and his intention was that he would call them back and spend the time he needed [to explain the situation],” Hughes said.
“That’s the one mistake we’ve made.”
Besides their own personal grief Hughes says there is another reason she can’t sleep at night.
“All night long I have threats against my life,” Hughes said. “I received a phone call threatening that somebody was going to come by and shoot all my children.”
Although she understands the grief these owners are feeling, Hughes’ dog Patrick passed away in the accident as well, she is shocked by their reactions.
“We went from being the greatest thing that ever happen to their dog to murderers.”
Hughes said Green Acre’s will be closing their doors.
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- Arizona Rep. Kyrsten Sinema: ‘It’s my job’ to attend Trump inauguration
- Arizona. Gov. Doug Ducey to push for teacher raises in upcoming months
- Gov. Doug Ducey: I approve of border wall ‘as long as it benefits Arizona’
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio