PHOENIX — The U.S. Department of Agriculture has selected New York-based Chobani Yogurt for a one-month contract to provide its yogurt to public schools in seven states, including Arizona.
According to Syracuse.com, Greek yogurt was put to the test last year and offered as a protein substitute in four states — Arizona, New York, Idaho and Tennessee.
In a range of three months, children consumed $300,000 worth of yogurt.
Encouraged by the results, the new contract will take effect this upcoming school year from August to September. The company will provide Chobani Greek yogurt in New York, Idaho, California, Iowa, Mississippi and Illinois.
In addition, the Buffalo-based Upstate Niagara Cooperative will supply Greek yogurt to schools in Arizona.
As a member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, (D-N.Y.) said through her official website that this is great news for public schools.
“Greek yogurt like Chobani and Upstate Niagara is packed with healthy protein that our schoolchildren deserve access to in their school lunches.”
The school lunch pilot program hopes to expand to 12 states this fall.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food