PHOENIX — The U.S. Department of Agriculture has selected New York-based Chobani Yogurt for a one-month contract to provide its yogurt to public schools in seven states, including Arizona.
According to Syracuse.com, Greek yogurt was put to the test last year and offered as a protein substitute in four states — Arizona, New York, Idaho and Tennessee.
In a range of three months, children consumed $300,000 worth of yogurt.
Encouraged by the results, the new contract will take effect this upcoming school year from August to September. The company will provide Chobani Greek yogurt in New York, Idaho, California, Iowa, Mississippi and Illinois.
In addition, the Buffalo-based Upstate Niagara Cooperative will supply Greek yogurt to schools in Arizona.
As a member of the Senate Agriculture Committee, Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, (D-N.Y.) said through her official website that this is great news for public schools.
“Greek yogurt like Chobani and Upstate Niagara is packed with healthy protein that our schoolchildren deserve access to in their school lunches.”
The school lunch pilot program hopes to expand to 12 states this fall.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.