PHOENIX — You may not think of Arizona as an ideal road trip destination, but one study says it’s one of the best in the country.
A study done by WalletHub that compared each of the 50 states rated Arizona as a top road trip destination in the U.S., with its number of attractions, affordable hotels and scenic drives as the highest-rated categories on a list of 21 key metrics.
WalletHub CEO Odysseas Papadimitriou said Arizona also placed pretty well in categories such as gas and camping costs — allowing out-of-town road trippers to experience quality vacation destinations at an affordable cost.
“When it comes to the cost of camping it is actually the most affordable in the nation,” he said. “Some other strengths of Arizona is obviously in the number of days it has with sunshine, ranking number four; number of attractions it ranks number eight and number of scenic byways it ranks number nine.”
Papadimitriou said the ranking also showed some surprising disparity between states in the individual categories, for example Arizona’s cost of camping versus Connecticut’s.
“Connecticut comes in dead last, so Connecticut is two-times more expensive to camp there than in Arizona,” he said.
KTAR’s Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon