PHOENIX — You may not think of Arizona as an ideal road trip destination, but one study says it’s one of the best in the country.
A study done by WalletHub that compared each of the 50 states rated Arizona as a top road trip destination in the U.S., with its number of attractions, affordable hotels and scenic drives as the highest-rated categories on a list of 21 key metrics.
WalletHub CEO Odysseas Papadimitriou said Arizona also placed pretty well in categories such as gas and camping costs — allowing out-of-town road trippers to experience quality vacation destinations at an affordable cost.
“When it comes to the cost of camping it is actually the most affordable in the nation,” he said. “Some other strengths of Arizona is obviously in the number of days it has with sunshine, ranking number four; number of attractions it ranks number eight and number of scenic byways it ranks number nine.”
Papadimitriou said the ranking also showed some surprising disparity between states in the individual categories, for example Arizona’s cost of camping versus Connecticut’s.
“Connecticut comes in dead last, so Connecticut is two-times more expensive to camp there than in Arizona,” he said.
KTAR’s Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas