PHOENIX — You may not think of Arizona as an ideal road trip destination, but one study says it’s one of the best in the country.
A study done by WalletHub that compared each of the 50 states rated Arizona as a top road trip destination in the U.S., with its number of attractions, affordable hotels and scenic drives as the highest-rated categories on a list of 21 key metrics.
WalletHub CEO Odysseas Papadimitriou said Arizona also placed pretty well in categories such as gas and camping costs — allowing out-of-town road trippers to experience quality vacation destinations at an affordable cost.
“When it comes to the cost of camping it is actually the most affordable in the nation,” he said. “Some other strengths of Arizona is obviously in the number of days it has with sunshine, ranking number four; number of attractions it ranks number eight and number of scenic byways it ranks number nine.”
Papadimitriou said the ranking also showed some surprising disparity between states in the individual categories, for example Arizona’s cost of camping versus Connecticut’s.
“Connecticut comes in dead last, so Connecticut is two-times more expensive to camp there than in Arizona,” he said.
KTAR’s Mark Remillard contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night