PHOENIX — Arizona’s largest utility provider and Luke Air Force Base are teaming up to generate renewable energy.
APS is leasing a 100-acre plot of land from Luke Air Force Base to build a new solar power plant.
Robert Worley is the 56th Civil Engineer Squadron installation management flight chief at Luke Air Force Base. He said the new plant will be operational by the summer of 2015.
“It’ll be on some land on the southern part of the base,” said Worley. “It’s not really useful for us to build for human habitation, but it makes great land to produce energy for Arizona.”
The new solar plant is a part of an Air Force program designed to encourage utility companies to generate renewable energy and prevent the emission of greenhouse gases.
“It also means we’re just being a good partner with APS and a good neighbor to the communities surrounding us by using land that would normally just sit empty to produce power to help generate their homes,” he said.
Worley also said the new solar plant will eliminate the need to build a generating station in the West Valley.
“It’s about 10 megawatts of electrical power, and 10 megawatts is about what almost 2,500 Valley homes would consume in a year or so,” Worley said.
APS will lease the land from Luke Air Force Base for 30 years at a cost of $6 million.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them