PHOENIX — Arizona’s largest utility provider and Luke Air Force Base are teaming up to generate renewable energy.
APS is leasing a 100-acre plot of land from Luke Air Force Base to build a new solar power plant.
Robert Worley is the 56th Civil Engineer Squadron installation management flight chief at Luke Air Force Base. He said the new plant will be operational by the summer of 2015.
“It’ll be on some land on the southern part of the base,” said Worley. “It’s not really useful for us to build for human habitation, but it makes great land to produce energy for Arizona.”
The new solar plant is a part of an Air Force program designed to encourage utility companies to generate renewable energy and prevent the emission of greenhouse gases.
“It also means we’re just being a good partner with APS and a good neighbor to the communities surrounding us by using land that would normally just sit empty to produce power to help generate their homes,” he said.
Worley also said the new solar plant will eliminate the need to build a generating station in the West Valley.
“It’s about 10 megawatts of electrical power, and 10 megawatts is about what almost 2,500 Valley homes would consume in a year or so,” Worley said.
APS will lease the land from Luke Air Force Base for 30 years at a cost of $6 million.
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever