MESA, Ariz. — Chandler police are warning people about a new scam taking aim at potential car buyers.
The department said the new scam comes as a secondary crime to car burglaries.
Det. Seth Tyler said when burglars break into vehicles, they make sure to also steal the car’s registration, and then later post ads for a similar vehicle.
“For instance, if they burglarized a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, they’re going to go find a picture of a 2008 Chevy Tahoe and post it online,” he said.
When a potential buyer shows interest, the suspect asks for a deposit to hold the vehicle and sends the potential buyer a photo of the registration to make it appear as though they actually have the vehicle posted in the ad.
“They send that person a shot of the vehicle registration as a sign of good faith that, ‘Hey this is my vehicle, and it’s legit,'” Tyler said. “Then they tell that individual, ‘Send me a couple hundred bucks, I’ll hold it for you and you can come look at it.'”
After wiring money for the deposit, Tyler said the suspect then takes off and disappears.
He recommends potential car buyers always see the car in person, meet sellers in public places and match the vehicle identification number to the car registration before sending any money to avoid getting scammed.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food