MESA, Ariz. — Chandler police are warning people about a new scam taking aim at potential car buyers.
The department said the new scam comes as a secondary crime to car burglaries.
Det. Seth Tyler said when burglars break into vehicles, they make sure to also steal the car’s registration, and then later post ads for a similar vehicle.
“For instance, if they burglarized a 2008 Chevy Tahoe, they’re going to go find a picture of a 2008 Chevy Tahoe and post it online,” he said.
When a potential buyer shows interest, the suspect asks for a deposit to hold the vehicle and sends the potential buyer a photo of the registration to make it appear as though they actually have the vehicle posted in the ad.
“They send that person a shot of the vehicle registration as a sign of good faith that, ‘Hey this is my vehicle, and it’s legit,'” Tyler said. “Then they tell that individual, ‘Send me a couple hundred bucks, I’ll hold it for you and you can come look at it.'”
After wiring money for the deposit, Tyler said the suspect then takes off and disappears.
He recommends potential car buyers always see the car in person, meet sellers in public places and match the vehicle identification number to the car registration before sending any money to avoid getting scammed.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns