PHOENIX — Nearly two dozen dogs died at a Gilbert dog boarder over the weekend of apparent heat exhaustion.
Authorities said the air conditioning went out after one of the dogs managed to chew through the wall and then an electrical cord.
The actual time of the destruction, however, is currently under investigation.
The facility was temporarily overseen by a son of Sen. Jeff Flake. The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the owners of Green Acre Cage Free Dog Boarding were out of town and said they had arranged for the dogs to be taken care of by Austin Flake and his wife, the owners’ daughter.
Owners Todd and Maleisa Hughes were notified and returned to town. They called the deaths at their site, near Val Vista and Queen Creek roads, a freak accident.
“The only way this could have been predicted truly is if I could foresee the future because nobody could have prevented this,” Hughes told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Monday.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio held a press conference regarding the canine deaths Monday afternoon to express his concern.
“One thing that puzzles me that we’re going to really look at is the timeline,” Arpaio said. “How can you be healthy at 11 o’clock [at night] and dead at 5:30 [in the morning]?”
Arpaio, known for having a soft spot for pets and establishing a no-kill animal center at the county jail, said his office is taking the investigation very seriously.
“We’re going to check phone records, we’re going to check air condition(ing) meters, so there’s a lot of work that my office will do to get to the bottom of this investigation,” he added.
As for the potential involvement of Austin Flake, Arpaio said he would give no special treatment.
“This sheriff arrests anybody that violates animal cruelty, no matter what their profession is,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who it is.”
Sen. Flake’s office released a statement, neither confirming nor denying his son’s involvement:
The review site Yelp lists a website for the business, but that site has been taken down.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns