PHOENIX — Nearly two dozen dogs died at a Gilbert dog boarder over the weekend of apparent heat exhaustion.
Authorities said the air conditioning went out after one of the dogs managed to chew through the wall and then an electrical cord.
The actual time of the destruction, however, is currently under investigation.
The facility was temporarily overseen by a son of Sen. Jeff Flake. The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office said the owners of Green Acre Cage Free Dog Boarding were out of town and said they had arranged for the dogs to be taken care of by Austin Flake and his wife, the owners’ daughter.
Owners Todd and Maleisa Hughes were notified and returned to town. They called the deaths at their site, near Val Vista and Queen Creek roads, a freak accident.
“The only way this could have been predicted truly is if I could foresee the future because nobody could have prevented this,” Hughes told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos Monday.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio held a press conference regarding the canine deaths Monday afternoon to express his concern.
“One thing that puzzles me that we’re going to really look at is the timeline,” Arpaio said. “How can you be healthy at 11 o’clock [at night] and dead at 5:30 [in the morning]?”
Arpaio, known for having a soft spot for pets and establishing a no-kill animal center at the county jail, said his office is taking the investigation very seriously.
“We’re going to check phone records, we’re going to check air condition(ing) meters, so there’s a lot of work that my office will do to get to the bottom of this investigation,” he added.
As for the potential involvement of Austin Flake, Arpaio said he would give no special treatment.
“This sheriff arrests anybody that violates animal cruelty, no matter what their profession is,” he said. “It doesn’t matter who it is.”
Sen. Flake’s office released a statement, neither confirming nor denying his son’s involvement:
The review site Yelp lists a website for the business, but that site has been taken down.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development