PHOENIX — A trio of traffic accidents, one of them deadly, made the early Monday morning commute difficult.
A pedestrian was hit by a car near northbound Interstate 17 and Jomax Road. Three lanes of the freeway were shut down but by 6:30 a.m. had been reopened.
A wrong-way driver crash on State Route 143 north shut down the highway at Interstate 10 to University Drive. One driver who had to be
extricated from his vehicle and has been hospitalized in serious condition, the a second driver was hospitalized with serious leg injuries. Both drivers were expected to survive. The crash led to SR 143 from Interstate 10 and Broadway Road being shut down
for several hours; however, the Arizona Department of Transportation tweeted out at 6:25 a.m. that all lanes were reopened.
DPS spokesman Raul Garcia said the driver going the wrong direction had been driving with a
license that was suspended due to a previous DUI.
Downtown Phoenix had its own accident to handle when a train derailed near Seventh and Washington streets. Five rail cars turned over but none contained hazardous material. Seventh was closed from Jefferson Street to Buckeye Road.
No other details were immediately available.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development