PHOENIX — A trio of traffic accidents, one of them deadly, made the early Monday morning commute difficult.
A pedestrian was hit by a car near northbound Interstate 17 and Jomax Road. Three lanes of the freeway were shut down but by 6:30 a.m. had been reopened.
A wrong-way driver crash on State Route 143 north shut down the highway at Interstate 10 to University Drive. One driver who had to be
extricated from his vehicle and has been hospitalized in serious condition, the a second driver was hospitalized with serious leg injuries. Both drivers were expected to survive. The crash led to SR 143 from Interstate 10 and Broadway Road being shut down
for several hours; however, the Arizona Department of Transportation tweeted out at 6:25 a.m. that all lanes were reopened.
DPS spokesman Raul Garcia said the driver going the wrong direction had been driving with a
license that was suspended due to a previous DUI.
Downtown Phoenix had its own accident to handle when a train derailed near Seventh and Washington streets. Five rail cars turned over but none contained hazardous material. Seventh was closed from Jefferson Street to Buckeye Road.
No other details were immediately available.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.