The Valley isn’t known for skyscrapers, but several of its taller structures could be affected if a Federal Aviation Administration proposal goes through.
The Phoenix Business Journal reports several Arizona lawmakers and business leaders are trying to slow — if not altogether stop — the proposal from going into effect.
At present, buildings within 10,000 feet from the end of a runway cannot exceed 250 feet in height, according to an independent study. The FAA proposal, which has reportedly gained a lot of support over the last year, would limit building heights to 160 feet — a 36 percent reduction.
As many as 8,000 existing and planned structures could be affected — including more than 60 in Arizona — if the proposal goes through, further irritating the already slow economic recovery.
Tempe’s First Solar building, West 6th apartment towers and future development of Papago Buttes Corporate Park are among the metro Phoenix projects that might be impacted by new height limitations.
The issue has raised such a ruckus that last month bipartisan legislation — co-sponsored by four members of Congress, including Arizona Reps. Matt Salmon and David Schweikert — was introduced in an effort to force the issue into a formal rulemaking process.
Changing it from a policy change to a rulemaking process would drag the proposal through a more in-depth and rigorous analysis process. However, the legislation, House Bill 4623, reportedly hasn’t gotten much traction yet, even though it has the support of more than a dozen real-estate industry groups.
An FAA spokesman said the agency recently extended time for public comment for another 30 days, now ending July 28.
Tempe Chamber of Commerce President and CEO Mary Ann Miller said the timing of the proposal is poor considering the recent growth in downtown Tempe, which is close to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport.
“That could really change some of the plans and impact the future growth in Tempe,” Miller told the Phoenix Business Journal.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets