PHOENIX — The man who inspired the 2011 action film “Machine Gun Preacher” is visiting Tucson, Ariz., this weekend to talk about his humanitarian work in Africa.
Tucson station KOLD-TV says Sam Childers ministered at the downtown Covenant Generations Church on Saturday night, and he was slated to speak at two more services on Sunday.
Childers has been helping enslaved children in South Sudan for the past 13 years through his Angels of East Africa organization. He said he operates one of the largest orphanages in the region, and he has led several armed missions to rescue children from rebel militia in Uganda, earning him the “Machine Gun Preacher” nickname.
At least 63,000 refugees worldwide have come to Arizona under the Refugee Resettlement Program since 1985, according to records posted by the Arizona Department of Economic Security.
The data shows 338 refugees from Somalia arrived in Arizona in 2014, with 56 coming from Sudan so far this year. The largest number to arrive in Arizona in 2014 are the 653 refugees that came from Iraq.
In Tucson, Childers addressed the scores unaccompanied migrant children that are coming from Central America and being placed in facilities in Texas and Arizona. He said the focus should be on why they left their home countries — and not the logistics of them staying in the U.S.
“Maybe what we should be concerned with, these children that’s coming in from all these countries, let’s try to make their country a better place to live,” Childers told KOLD.
Childers was depicted by actor Gerard Butler in the 2011 film bearing his nickname.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns