PHOENIX — Tempe, Ariz., police are investigating an early Sunday morning shooting that happened around 9th Street and Mill Avenue.
Police said one man was shot in the stomach, and he was rushed to a hospital in a life-threatening condition after a Tempe resident found him in his yard about 15 minutes after gunshots were heard.
Tempe Sgt. Michael Pooley said the gunfire was first reported around 3 a.m. Pooley said officers learned there had been an altercation and one person pulled out a gun and began firing. Other than the wounded man, whose name hasn’t been released, one bullet struck a parked vehicle.
No one else was hurt in the altercation, police said.
Police initially suspected that the injured man accidentally shot himself, but upon further investigation, they located a suspect that they believe pulled out a gun and shot the victim, who fled on foot to the resident’s yard near Maple Avenue and University Drive.
Police have not released the name of the suspect.
The handgun has not been recovered, but Pooley said police are treating the area as an active scene.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier