PHOENIX — Tempe, Ariz., police are investigating an early Sunday morning shooting that happened around 9th Street and Mill Avenue.
Police said one man was shot in the stomach, and he was rushed to a hospital in a life-threatening condition after a Tempe resident found him in his yard about 15 minutes after gunshots were heard.
Tempe Sgt. Michael Pooley said the gunfire was first reported around 3 a.m. Pooley said officers learned there had been an altercation and one person pulled out a gun and began firing. Other than the wounded man, whose name hasn’t been released, one bullet struck a parked vehicle.
No one else was hurt in the altercation, police said.
Police initially suspected that the injured man accidentally shot himself, but upon further investigation, they located a suspect that they believe pulled out a gun and shot the victim, who fled on foot to the resident’s yard near Maple Avenue and University Drive.
Police have not released the name of the suspect.
The handgun has not been recovered, but Pooley said police are treating the area as an active scene.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy