PHOENIX — Tempe, Ariz., police are investigating an early Sunday morning shooting that happened around 9th Street and Mill Avenue.
Police said one man was shot in the stomach, and he was rushed to a hospital in a life-threatening condition after a Tempe resident found him in his yard about 15 minutes after gunshots were heard.
Tempe Sgt. Michael Pooley said the gunfire was first reported around 3 a.m. Pooley said officers learned there had been an altercation and one person pulled out a gun and began firing. Other than the wounded man, whose name hasn’t been released, one bullet struck a parked vehicle.
No one else was hurt in the altercation, police said.
Police initially suspected that the injured man accidentally shot himself, but upon further investigation, they located a suspect that they believe pulled out a gun and shot the victim, who fled on foot to the resident’s yard near Maple Avenue and University Drive.
Police have not released the name of the suspect.
The handgun has not been recovered, but Pooley said police are treating the area as an active scene.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments