PHOENIX — The personal security company Identity Theft 911 is warning that things like Google Glass, Google Fit and Apple’s Health Kit could leave you vulnerable. Hackers, or anyone who has your device after it is lost or stolen, could get access to your important information.
That’s because these so-called wearable technology devices use detailed GPS logs that contain information on anything from your health information to which ATM you use.
Ken Colburn of the Data Doctors says that you shouldn’t be surprised.
“This notion of complete privacy and complete security, those days are long gone,” he said.
Colburn isn’t worried about wearable technology risks. He says that your smart phone is more of a security risk because it has tons of information and reports its location to your cell phone company every seven seconds.
He says that both smart phones and wearable devices are already equipped with security devices that can protect you.
The capabilities include. “setting up any kind of remote monitoring or tracking of the device so that (you can find them) in case they get lost or stolen, and being able to remotely destroy the information on it. Most of those capabilities are built in to a lot of these devices. You just need to learn how to activate them,” Colburn said.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths