PHEONIX — Investigators with the Scottsdale Fire Department are on the scene of a kennel fire that occurred Friday night on Mountain View Road and 120th Street, killing at least five dogs.
“Before fire crews got there, they could see the smoke and the flames from about a mile away,” Division Chief Jay Ducote with Scottsdale FD told KTAR. “They got to the scene. This was kind of an equestrian back in the day. It was kind of a rural area. There were very minimal hydrants to get to the zone. It was very hard access, because these are acre-plus lots.
“We got back there. Got a water supply. It looked like some type of barn or shed where you store stuff. But it was pretty involved, so we couldn’t tell what it was.”
While the fire personnel were putting out the fire, the homeowner told them that the barn was actually a kennel that housed 20 dogs.
She has since restated that total, changing the number from 20 to 15 dogs — 10 of those were kept in the barn kennel.
At this time, five dogs are accounted for inside the house; while five have deceased in the north side of the kennel.
Officials are still looking for the other five on the south side of the structure.
The cause of the fire is still unknown.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food