PHEONIX — Investigators with the Scottsdale Fire Department are on the scene of a kennel fire that occurred Friday night on Mountain View Road and 120th Street, killing at least five dogs.
“Before fire crews got there, they could see the smoke and the flames from about a mile away,” Division Chief Jay Ducote with Scottsdale FD told KTAR. “They got to the scene. This was kind of an equestrian back in the day. It was kind of a rural area. There were very minimal hydrants to get to the zone. It was very hard access, because these are acre-plus lots.
“We got back there. Got a water supply. It looked like some type of barn or shed where you store stuff. But it was pretty involved, so we couldn’t tell what it was.”
While the fire personnel were putting out the fire, the homeowner told them that the barn was actually a kennel that housed 20 dogs.
She has since restated that total, changing the number from 20 to 15 dogs — 10 of those were kept in the barn kennel.
At this time, five dogs are accounted for inside the house; while five have deceased in the north side of the kennel.
Officials are still looking for the other five on the south side of the structure.
The cause of the fire is still unknown.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon