PHOENIX — There are parties for all sorts of occasions, but have you ever attended a “star party”?
Well, now you can!
The Grand Canyon National Park is hosting its 24th annual “Star Party,” where two different astronomy clubs come together, bring their own telescopes, look up at the night sky and share their experiences with the public.
The party takes places on both the north and south rims.
Park ranger Marker Marshall works on the south rim.
“On the South Rim, in addition to about 30 to 50 telescopes a night set up behind the Grand Canyon Visitor Center, we also do an 8 o’clock program in the Visitor Center Theater every night on astronomy,” she said.
Green-laser constellation tours will also be offered at 9:00, 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.
Telescopes will be set up on the porch of the Grand Canyon Lodge every night on the North Rim, but space is limited.
“Mainly, people just show up when it starts getting dark,” Marshall said. “They go from telescope to telescope and they say, ‘Hey, What are you looking at?’, and one of them might be on Saturn and one of them might be on Jupiter and its moons.”
Parking is available in Lots 1-4 or you can arrive by riding the free Grand Canyon Village shuttle bus, which runs until 11:00 p.m.
The event is free and is taking place every night until June 28. For more information, click here.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon