PHOENIX — There are parties for all sorts of occasions, but have you ever attended a “star party”?
Well, now you can!
The Grand Canyon National Park is hosting its 24th annual “Star Party,” where two different astronomy clubs come together, bring their own telescopes, look up at the night sky and share their experiences with the public.
The party takes places on both the north and south rims.
Park ranger Marker Marshall works on the south rim.
“On the South Rim, in addition to about 30 to 50 telescopes a night set up behind the Grand Canyon Visitor Center, we also do an 8 o’clock program in the Visitor Center Theater every night on astronomy,” she said.
Green-laser constellation tours will also be offered at 9:00, 9:30 and 10:00 p.m.
Telescopes will be set up on the porch of the Grand Canyon Lodge every night on the North Rim, but space is limited.
“Mainly, people just show up when it starts getting dark,” Marshall said. “They go from telescope to telescope and they say, ‘Hey, What are you looking at?’, and one of them might be on Saturn and one of them might be on Jupiter and its moons.”
Parking is available in Lots 1-4 or you can arrive by riding the free Grand Canyon Village shuttle bus, which runs until 11:00 p.m.
The event is free and is taking place every night until June 28. For more information, click here.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier