Those of the millennial generation with less education are more likely to be single parents, a new study reveals.
Johns Hopkins University released a report titled “Changing Fertility Regimes and the Transition to Adulthood: Evidence from a Recent Cohort” that showed the trend of 20-somethings who don’t seek higher education and who are choosing to have children out of wedlock.
The abstract of the report indicated 81 percent of births reported by women ages 26-31 were to non-college graduates. Eighty-seven percent of men of the same age and education status reported becoming a father. Additionally, 57 percent of births occurred outside of marriage.
In an article about the study and its implications, The Guardian said there was a chance circumstances had prevented young women with children from attending college.
“I don’t think that that’s happening,” Andrew Cherlin, lead researcher of the Johns Hopkins University study, told The Guardian, adding that college graduates are “the winners in our globalized economy.”
Unmarried, less-educated women, on the other hand, “can’t see the future and so have no reason to put off having children,” Cherlin said in the piece.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier