PHOENIX — After a recent death involving the accidental self-strangulation of a 2-year-old, a child welfare advocate wants to warn parents about potential dangers that exist when they leave their children alone.
“I don’t think they are bad parents, I just don’t think they really know (or) understand the dangers,” said Amber Rollins of KidsnCars.org. “Not many people have heard of power window strangulation.”
The most recent incident involved a Virginia mother who allegedly left her child alone in the car while she styled someone’s hair. When she went out to check on the girl, she was already dead. The woman was subsequently arrested.
According to the nonprofit agency that strives to prevent the injuries and deaths of children in and around vehicles, there have been a total of 80 accidental strangulations since 1990.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon