PHOENIX — The governor’s office had some visitors Friday.
Members of the group MoveOn.org delivered over 3,000 petition signatures calling on Gov. Jan Brewer to stop a proposed tax that would add $152 annually to the bill of families who use solar power.
Members of the group say public utilities are afraid that their bottom line is threatened by families who are switching to solar to save money.
MoveOn.org member Richard Studley of Anthem, Ariz., said the utility companies are being hypocritical.
“The utilities should be helping us,” he said. “They have web pages that state they are pro-solar, but they’re trying to make it unaffordable for residential users like us to afford it.”
Studley said he switched to solar to save money because of his $250-a-month electric bill. He said he’s using about $13 dollars a month in electricity but is paying a lot more than that because of fees that are starting to add up.
“My flat fee for the leasing of the solar panels is $150 a month,” said Studley. “The other fees are about $10 to $20 on top of that. If they keep adding other stuff, I’m back up to the $200 to $250 range, and then it’s not affordable.”
Studley said Brewer is siding with the power companies who favor the tax, instead of the people that she was elected to serve.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.