GLENDALE, Ariz. — Country music fans got a special visit from four talented artists during the “Salute the Troops” concert at Luke Air Force Base.
Arizona native Laura Walsh opened the concert playing a variety of her songs, some written by her, and a mix of other singers’ melodies.
“I’m honored,” she said. “I have friends and family members who are in the military and to be able to perform and celebrate with them, it’s such an honor.”
Hundreds of families, many with small children, danced and sang along.
One dad, like many others in the audience, lives on base. He’s getting ready to deploy come October. “This [concert] means a lot. I love my family and try to cherish every moment I got with them,” said Staff Sgt. Nicholas Freeman.
Season four finalists of the hit show “The Voice,” the Swon Brothers, took the stage next, delivering one of their biggest hits, “Lover, Lover.”
“We’ve played all kinds of shows since ‘The Voice’ and we had the time of our lives,” said Colton Swon, “but this is what matters. Anytime we get a chance to do something like this for these men and women, that’s an honor.”
Country music fan Terrin Ley said the concert went beyond just an entertaining night. Her husband was able to join her and their 18-month-old daughter for a few minutes during his break from his shift at the base. As Ley chased their child through the crowd, she said, “This means a lot to us. We got to see him for a few more minutes.”
Country star Jarrod Neimann closed the show performing some of his hit singles, including “What Do You Want.”
He dedicated his set to the men and women overseas and shared a message of peace he hopes the world can one day reach.
“Today they’re definitely the star of the show,” Niemann said. “We’re very lucky, very grateful.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns