GLENDALE, Ariz. — Country music fans got a special visit from four talented artists during the “Salute the Troops” concert at Luke Air Force Base.
Arizona native Laura Walsh opened the concert playing a variety of her songs, some written by her, and a mix of other singers’ melodies.
“I’m honored,” she said. “I have friends and family members who are in the military and to be able to perform and celebrate with them, it’s such an honor.”
Hundreds of families, many with small children, danced and sang along.
One dad, like many others in the audience, lives on base. He’s getting ready to deploy come October. “This [concert] means a lot. I love my family and try to cherish every moment I got with them,” said Staff Sgt. Nicholas Freeman.
Season four finalists of the hit show “The Voice,” the Swon Brothers, took the stage next, delivering one of their biggest hits, “Lover, Lover.”
“We’ve played all kinds of shows since ‘The Voice’ and we had the time of our lives,” said Colton Swon, “but this is what matters. Anytime we get a chance to do something like this for these men and women, that’s an honor.”
Country music fan Terrin Ley said the concert went beyond just an entertaining night. Her husband was able to join her and their 18-month-old daughter for a few minutes during his break from his shift at the base. As Ley chased their child through the crowd, she said, “This means a lot to us. We got to see him for a few more minutes.”
Country star Jarrod Neimann closed the show performing some of his hit singles, including “What Do You Want.”
He dedicated his set to the men and women overseas and shared a message of peace he hopes the world can one day reach.
“Today they’re definitely the star of the show,” Niemann said. “We’re very lucky, very grateful.”
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets