PHOENIX — An early morning fire Friday destroyed a Phoenix home and threatened another before a fire crew got it under control.
The family of five escaped without serious injury. One person at the home, on 23rd Avenue just south of Thunderbird Road, went to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Crews from Glendale and Phoenix fire departments battled the blaze for a couple of hours.
Witnesses said the house turned into a fireball as the house, cars and an RV went up in flames. Tall pines and palm trees burned as well. Embers were landing as far away as 300 feet.
Neighbor James Lawrence said embers were falling like snow in his yard. He hosed down his roof as a precaution.
Sandra Jolly, who lives next door, said the trees looked like Roman candles. She thought she was going to lose her home.
“We went to get my daughter’s shoes in her room and it was so hot we couldn’t get in there. Her room was hot, hot. I didn’t know how close the fire was and we got out. My daughter is shaking and worried about the neighbors,” Jolly said.
Fire investigators are combing through the rubble trying to pinpoint the cause.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas