PHOENIX — An early morning fire Friday destroyed a Phoenix home and threatened another before a fire crew got it under control.
The family of five escaped without serious injury. One person at the home, on 23rd Avenue just south of Thunderbird Road, went to the hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Crews from Glendale and Phoenix fire departments battled the blaze for a couple of hours.
Witnesses said the house turned into a fireball as the house, cars and an RV went up in flames. Tall pines and palm trees burned as well. Embers were landing as far away as 300 feet.
Neighbor James Lawrence said embers were falling like snow in his yard. He hosed down his roof as a precaution.
Sandra Jolly, who lives next door, said the trees looked like Roman candles. She thought she was going to lose her home.
“We went to get my daughter’s shoes in her room and it was so hot we couldn’t get in there. Her room was hot, hot. I didn’t know how close the fire was and we got out. My daughter is shaking and worried about the neighbors,” Jolly said.
Fire investigators are combing through the rubble trying to pinpoint the cause.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon