PHOENIX — An Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections officer has been charged with child abuse after allegedly punishing an inmate multiple times, according to an official.
John Williams, a youth corrections officer, was arrested for child abuse on Jan. 28, Matthew Contorelli with the department said in an e-mail.
Contorelli said Williams confessed to punching a 16-year-old male inmate “approximately six to seven times” in the chest at the Adobe Mountain School secure care facility on Jan. 25.
Williams was immediately terminated from his position following his arrest.
The circumstances of the incident are unknown, but the juvenile is expected to be in good condition.
- Drone carrying drugs, cellphones crashes at Arizona prison
- County attorney asks for other victims in Hamilton hazing case to step up
- Police arrest Gilbert man after infant suffers fractured ribs, liver injury
- Toddler dies from brain injury, Surprise woman arrested for child abuse
- Locked up and learning: ASU students take class alongside prison inmates