PHOENIX — An Arizona Department of Juvenile Corrections officer has been charged with child abuse after allegedly punishing an inmate multiple times, according to an official.
John Williams, a youth corrections officer, was arrested for child abuse on Jan. 28, Matthew Contorelli with the department said in an e-mail.
Contorelli said Williams confessed to punching a 16-year-old male inmate “approximately six to seven times” in the chest at the Adobe Mountain School secure care facility on Jan. 25.
Williams was immediately terminated from his position following his arrest.
The circumstances of the incident are unknown, but the juvenile is expected to be in good condition.
- County attorney asks for other victims in Hamilton hazing case to step up
- Hearing to focus on retaliation complaint against Arizona prisons
- Police arrest Gilbert man after infant suffers fractured ribs, liver injury
- Arizona Department of Child Safety investigations on decline
- Toddler dies from brain injury, Surprise woman arrested for child abuse