PHOENIX — A new report claims that more people who live in Phoenix are getting health insurance.
The report by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation says the number of uninsured Phoenix residents is dropping fast.
“If the patterns continue, we’re going to see about half as many people who are uninsured in Phoenix as we saw about a year ago,” said John Lumpkin, the foundation’s senior vice president.
He said the number of those without health insurance could drop 54 percent, from the 386,000 that are currently uninsured, to about 177,000 by 2016.
Lumpkin said one reason for the drop is that people are signing up for Obamacare.
“The Affordable Care Act health reform has made opportunities for people to get low-cost or subsidized health insurance,” he said. “People are getting insurance so that they’re protected whenever they get sick or injured.”
He said he believes there’s another reason for the drop in uninsured.
“Arizona chose to expand the Medicaid program,” said Lumpkin. “We’re seeing that the majority of people who sign up for health insurance are people who are getting it through Medicaid or people who are doing it through the health insurance exchanges.”
Lumpkin predicts that Obamacare will pump 10 billion federal health-care dollars into the Phoenix economy by 2023.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them