PHOENIX — A local inventor has designed a new device to remind parents that their children are in the car seat — with the intention of reducing the number of children who die after being left in hot cars.
“There are so many wonderful people out there working hard trying to eliminate this tragedy,” said Amber Rollins of KidsnCars.org.
The nonprofit is aims to prevent injuries and deaths of children in and around vehicles.
Scott McDonald invented the patent-pending Aviso Child-in-Car Alert. The device, which is wired into a vehicle’s technology, can detect the weight of the child. Once the car ignition is turned off, a series of beeps will alert the driver that there is a child in the car. After several minutes, the horn will begin to sound.
Experts caution parents on relying only on memory when it comes to having children in the backseat.
“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently did a study and determined the few devices that are on the market currently were found to be unreliable in one way or another,” said Rollings. “The best thing you can do for your child is never saying this can’t happen to you. Don’t ever leave your child in the car.”
According to KidsnCars.org, there have been 13 deaths across the nation already this year regarding kids left behind in a parked vehicle.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy