PHOENIX — A local inventor has designed a new device to remind parents that their children are in the car seat — with the intention of reducing the number of children who die after being left in hot cars.
“There are so many wonderful people out there working hard trying to eliminate this tragedy,” said Amber Rollins of KidsnCars.org.
The nonprofit is aims to prevent injuries and deaths of children in and around vehicles.
Scott McDonald invented the patent-pending Aviso Child-in-Car Alert. The device, which is wired into a vehicle’s technology, can detect the weight of the child. Once the car ignition is turned off, a series of beeps will alert the driver that there is a child in the car. After several minutes, the horn will begin to sound.
Experts caution parents on relying only on memory when it comes to having children in the backseat.
“The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration recently did a study and determined the few devices that are on the market currently were found to be unreliable in one way or another,” said Rollings. “The best thing you can do for your child is never saying this can’t happen to you. Don’t ever leave your child in the car.”
According to KidsnCars.org, there have been 13 deaths across the nation already this year regarding kids left behind in a parked vehicle.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.