PHOENIX — The Black Canyon chapter of the Red Cross is hosting a grand celebration in honor of World Refugee Day, which is Friday.
“Phoenix is one of the major cities in the country that settles refugees,” said Red Cross spokesman Todd Tamcsin. “In fact, we’ve had over 60,000 refugees settle here in our state since 1978.”
The Red Cross reports that over the last five years, 17,625 refugees have resettled in the state, making Arizona one of the nation’s top destinations for such a move.
According to World Refugee Day event coordinators, the holiday has been celebrated annually on June 20 since 2000. The day was chosen by the United Nations General Assembly to generate awareness about protecting and preserving the rights and well-being of refugees.
This year, free festivities will be happening Saturday, June 21, at Civic Space Park (424 N. Central Ave. in Phoenix). There will be entertainment, family activities, splash pads to keep cool as well as World Cup viewing. Events begin at 10 a.m.
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths