PHOENIX — The Black Canyon chapter of the Red Cross is hosting a grand celebration in honor of World Refugee Day, which is Friday.
“Phoenix is one of the major cities in the country that settles refugees,” said Red Cross spokesman Todd Tamcsin. “In fact, we’ve had over 60,000 refugees settle here in our state since 1978.”
The Red Cross reports that over the last five years, 17,625 refugees have resettled in the state, making Arizona one of the nation’s top destinations for such a move.
According to World Refugee Day event coordinators, the holiday has been celebrated annually on June 20 since 2000. The day was chosen by the United Nations General Assembly to generate awareness about protecting and preserving the rights and well-being of refugees.
This year, free festivities will be happening Saturday, June 21, at Civic Space Park (424 N. Central Ave. in Phoenix). There will be entertainment, family activities, splash pads to keep cool as well as World Cup viewing. Events begin at 10 a.m.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development