PHOENIX — The Black Canyon chapter of the Red Cross is hosting a grand celebration in honor of World Refugee Day, which is Friday.
“Phoenix is one of the major cities in the country that settles refugees,” said Red Cross spokesman Todd Tamcsin. “In fact, we’ve had over 60,000 refugees settle here in our state since 1978.”
The Red Cross reports that over the last five years, 17,625 refugees have resettled in the state, making Arizona one of the nation’s top destinations for such a move.
According to World Refugee Day event coordinators, the holiday has been celebrated annually on June 20 since 2000. The day was chosen by the United Nations General Assembly to generate awareness about protecting and preserving the rights and well-being of refugees.
This year, free festivities will be happening Saturday, June 21, at Civic Space Park (424 N. Central Ave. in Phoenix). There will be entertainment, family activities, splash pads to keep cool as well as World Cup viewing. Events begin at 10 a.m.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them