PHOENIX — A mosquito-borne virus with a recent outbreak in the Caribbean has been reported in the U.S.
Chikungunya causes high fever and joint pain. There is no cure or vaccine, and it is new in the country.
Arizona health officials have not had any confirmed cases of chikungunya, but said it could only be a matter of time before they see it.
“There is a specific species of mosquito that can transmit chikungunya virus, and that mosquito lives in Arizona,” said Jessica Rigler, bureau chief of Epidemiology and Disease Control at the Arizona Departmentof Health Services.
Arizona’s growing mosquito population during the monsoon is a concern for Rigler.
“When we get a lot of rain, there is standing water, which creates a breeding ground for mosquitoes,” she said.
Even though the virus is not in Arizona yet, Rigler said residents should take extra precautions to prevent mosquito bites.
“It’s really important to remove standing water,” she said.
Rigler also said it’s important to cover up and use a mosquito repellant during the monsoon season.
“The biggest thing that people need to know is not to panic and to take the same common-sense prevention approaches they would for West Nile (Virus).”
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas