PHOENIX — Arizona has a surprisingly high amount of amateur hockey participants.
Arizona saw the third-highest growth in the nation between 2013 and 2014 for the number of registered hockey players. The desert saw a jump of 17 percent, only trailing Oregon’s massive boost.
USA Hockey, the national governing body for the sport, has released its participation numbers for the 2013-14 season by state, giving Arizona the 25th spot nationally.
According to the report, Arizona has a total of 4,860 hockey players.
Chris Peters, blogger for The United States of Hockey, said Arizona was the pleasant surprise of these numbers.
The gains were made primarily through a boost in adult hockey registration, but most of the youth levels also saw some gains. If the team becomes competitive soon, this number could be headed up as enthusiasm for the local team often brings better numbers. Arizona is still chasing record highs it set for hockey participation in the early 2000s, but it’s as close as it’s ever been now.
The report also revealed that there were more people playing hockey in the U.S. than ever before with a record high of more than 510,000 registered players, an increase of more than 9,000 from the previous year.
Minnesota, also called “The State of Hockey,” honored its name ranking first nationally with more than 54,500 players. The states that followed for most hockey participants were Michigan, New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, respectively.
Other numbers that stood out in the report were Oregon’s rapid growth in players, the largest in the nation, with 60 percent compared to last year.
And even though Hawaii was at the bottom of the list with 19 total hockey players, their percentage of growth was the second highest in the nation at 58.3 percent.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.