PHOENIX — Arizona has a surprisingly high amount of amateur hockey participants.
Arizona saw the third-highest growth in the nation between 2013 and 2014 for the number of registered hockey players. The desert saw a jump of 17 percent, only trailing Oregon’s massive boost.
USA Hockey, the national governing body for the sport, has released its participation numbers for the 2013-14 season by state, giving Arizona the 25th spot nationally.
According to the report, Arizona has a total of 4,860 hockey players.
Chris Peters, blogger for The United States of Hockey, said Arizona was the pleasant surprise of these numbers.
The gains were made primarily through a boost in adult hockey registration, but most of the youth levels also saw some gains. If the team becomes competitive soon, this number could be headed up as enthusiasm for the local team often brings better numbers. Arizona is still chasing record highs it set for hockey participation in the early 2000s, but it’s as close as it’s ever been now.
The report also revealed that there were more people playing hockey in the U.S. than ever before with a record high of more than 510,000 registered players, an increase of more than 9,000 from the previous year.
Minnesota, also called “The State of Hockey,” honored its name ranking first nationally with more than 54,500 players. The states that followed for most hockey participants were Michigan, New York, Massachusetts and Pennsylvania, respectively.
Other numbers that stood out in the report were Oregon’s rapid growth in players, the largest in the nation, with 60 percent compared to last year.
And even though Hawaii was at the bottom of the list with 19 total hockey players, their percentage of growth was the second highest in the nation at 58.3 percent.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development