PHOENIX — Plans for a massive housing development roughly two miles from Luke Air Force Base are gaining support in Glendale.
According to the Phoenix Business Journal, the Maricopa County Board of Supervisors approved the zoning and land use of 252 acres to construct up to 1,260 homes.
The property is bounded by Northern Avenue to the north, Glendale Avenue to the south, El Mirage Road to the east and several blocks short of Dysart Road to the west.
The board’s approval will allow Scottsdale real estate investment firm Marbella Homes Inc. to buy the property for about $11 million this fall.
With the new zoning in place, homes may now be built right up to the outside of Luke’s “high noise or accident potential zone,” an area surrounding the base where civilian development is highly restricted for noise and safety reasons.
Even though there are additional residential density guidelines in place within 10 miles of the base, Luke Air Force Base has given the OK for Marbella Ranch to be constructed.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.