PHOENIX — DNA technology is helping police solve more cold cases and it’s not just on television.
Last week, 58-year-old Cudellious Love was arrested at his north Phoenix home and was charged in the 1989 murder and rape of Laura Hunding in Phoenix.
Police Sgt. Troy Hillman said the department has about 2,500 cold cases on the books but DNA technology is helping to solve more and more of these cases. Forty-five such cases have been solved since 2009 because of DNA matches.
“We’re going to keep trying and we’re proud of the number of cases we’ve solved,” Hillman said.
Cold cases can be solved without DNA using fingerprints and other evidence but some jurors want the “CSI” effect.
“They want that DNA and not all cases have it. Some are based on fingerprints, some on circumstantial evidence, and some cases have witness testimony.”
Despite advances, some cold cases will still be difficult if not impossible to solve.
“Some of the cases have minimal evidence and nobody is talking. We struggle with it,” he said.
But the struggle is worth the reward when the department can deliver the news to families that a suspect has been arrested.
“At least they can hold someone accountable. These are families that have had difficulty making memories and living their lives because of this person,” Hillman said.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development