PHOENIX — DNA technology is helping police solve more cold cases and it’s not just on television.
Last week, 58-year-old Cudellious Love was arrested at his north Phoenix home and was charged in the 1989 murder and rape of Laura Hunding in Phoenix.
Police Sgt. Troy Hillman said the department has about 2,500 cold cases on the books but DNA technology is helping to solve more and more of these cases. Forty-five such cases have been solved since 2009 because of DNA matches.
“We’re going to keep trying and we’re proud of the number of cases we’ve solved,” Hillman said.
Cold cases can be solved without DNA using fingerprints and other evidence but some jurors want the “CSI” effect.
“They want that DNA and not all cases have it. Some are based on fingerprints, some on circumstantial evidence, and some cases have witness testimony.”
Despite advances, some cold cases will still be difficult if not impossible to solve.
“Some of the cases have minimal evidence and nobody is talking. We struggle with it,” he said.
But the struggle is worth the reward when the department can deliver the news to families that a suspect has been arrested.
“At least they can hold someone accountable. These are families that have had difficulty making memories and living their lives because of this person,” Hillman said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.