PHOENIX — DNA technology is helping police solve more cold cases and it’s not just on television.
Last week, 58-year-old Cudellious Love was arrested at his north Phoenix home and was charged in the 1989 murder and rape of Laura Hunding in Phoenix.
Police Sgt. Troy Hillman said the department has about 2,500 cold cases on the books but DNA technology is helping to solve more and more of these cases. Forty-five such cases have been solved since 2009 because of DNA matches.
“We’re going to keep trying and we’re proud of the number of cases we’ve solved,” Hillman said.
Cold cases can be solved without DNA using fingerprints and other evidence but some jurors want the “CSI” effect.
“They want that DNA and not all cases have it. Some are based on fingerprints, some on circumstantial evidence, and some cases have witness testimony.”
Despite advances, some cold cases will still be difficult if not impossible to solve.
“Some of the cases have minimal evidence and nobody is talking. We struggle with it,” he said.
But the struggle is worth the reward when the department can deliver the news to families that a suspect has been arrested.
“At least they can hold someone accountable. These are families that have had difficulty making memories and living their lives because of this person,” Hillman said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy