PHOENIX — The U.S. Patent Office, Trademark Trial and Appeal Board decided Wednesday to cancel the Washington Redskins’ trademarks, which includes protection for team’s name and logo, because it is “disparaging of Native Americans.”
“On the legal front, at least on the near term, there won’t be much change,” said Eric Menkhus, clinical professor of law at the Sandra Day O’Connor School of Law at Arizona State University.
Although you have the right to name your team anything, the U.S. government has the right not to protect you if someone uses your name to make money.
“What is sort of out there, I guess, is the extent that the decision will have on public opinion and whether that will put pressure on the NFL,” said Menkhus, who also works with ASU’s new Sports Law and Business Program.
Team owner Daniel Snyder has been very vocal about having no intention to change the team’s name. The Washington Redskins’ attorney released a statement Wednesday saying the “ruling will have no effect at all on the team’s ownership of and right to use the Redskins name and logo.”
Menkhus said it could be like Donald Sterling, where the NBA is stepping in to force him to sell the Los Angeles Clippers.
“It is similar in that if there’s something that’s hurting the brand of the NFL, that the league itself has rights against owners to put pressure to do certain things,” he said.
So what’s the bottom line? Will the name be changed?
“At this point, I think it’s inevitable, yes,” Menkhus said. “I mean, I think Daniel Snyder can fight it, and maybe it will be years down the road, but at this point, I think the tide is turning.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon