PHOENIX — A Valley mom says her daughter died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rocky Point.
Kris Hamann blames the death of her 16-year-old daughter Lanna on energy drinks. Lanna’s friends say she was drinking very little water but a lot of energy drinks on the day she died.
A Valley doctor confirms that energy drinks can be dangerous. Dr. Hammad Amer, a vascular surgeon at Banner Heart Hospital, said they are way more potent than soft drinks. He cited the results of a recent study by the University of Miami.
“The single-use drinks that come in those little bottles can be up to 10 times as much caffeine as a soda,” Amer said. “It can cause increased anxiety, disruptions in sleep habits, arrhythmia and sudden death.”
Amer said that the energy drinks are often marketed similar to sports drinks, but they don’t replace the body’s fluids.
For those who consume energy drinks, Amer gave this advice.
“I think moderation is probably best, and stay hydrated,” he
Amer would also like to see more government regulation of energy drinks.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick