PHOENIX — A Valley mom says her daughter died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rocky Point.
Kris Hamann blames the death of her 16-year-old daughter Lanna on energy drinks. Lanna’s friends say she was drinking very little water but a lot of energy drinks on the day she died.
A Valley doctor confirms that energy drinks can be dangerous. Dr. Hammad Amer, a vascular surgeon at Banner Heart Hospital, said they are way more potent than soft drinks. He cited the results of a recent study by the University of Miami.
“The single-use drinks that come in those little bottles can be up to 10 times as much caffeine as a soda,” Amer said. “It can cause increased anxiety, disruptions in sleep habits, arrhythmia and sudden death.”
Amer said that the energy drinks are often marketed similar to sports drinks, but they don’t replace the body’s fluids.
For those who consume energy drinks, Amer gave this advice.
“I think moderation is probably best, and stay hydrated,” he
Amer would also like to see more government regulation of energy drinks.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns