PHOENIX — A Valley mom says her daughter died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rocky Point.
Kris Hamann blames the death of her 16-year-old daughter Lanna on energy drinks. Lanna’s friends say she was drinking very little water but a lot of energy drinks on the day she died.
A Valley doctor confirms that energy drinks can be dangerous. Dr. Hammad Amer, a vascular surgeon at Banner Heart Hospital, said they are way more potent than soft drinks. He cited the results of a recent study by the University of Miami.
“The single-use drinks that come in those little bottles can be up to 10 times as much caffeine as a soda,” Amer said. “It can cause increased anxiety, disruptions in sleep habits, arrhythmia and sudden death.”
Amer said that the energy drinks are often marketed similar to sports drinks, but they don’t replace the body’s fluids.
For those who consume energy drinks, Amer gave this advice.
“I think moderation is probably best, and stay hydrated,” he
Amer would also like to see more government regulation of energy drinks.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night