PHOENIX — A Valley mom says her daughter died of a heart attack while on vacation in Rocky Point.
Kris Hamann blames the death of her 16-year-old daughter Lanna on energy drinks. Lanna’s friends say she was drinking very little water but a lot of energy drinks on the day she died.
A Valley doctor confirms that energy drinks can be dangerous. Dr. Hammad Amer, a vascular surgeon at Banner Heart Hospital, said they are way more potent than soft drinks. He cited the results of a recent study by the University of Miami.
“The single-use drinks that come in those little bottles can be up to 10 times as much caffeine as a soda,” Amer said. “It can cause increased anxiety, disruptions in sleep habits, arrhythmia and sudden death.”
Amer said that the energy drinks are often marketed similar to sports drinks, but they don’t replace the body’s fluids.
For those who consume energy drinks, Amer gave this advice.
“I think moderation is probably best, and stay hydrated,” he
Amer would also like to see more government regulation of energy drinks.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development