PHOENIX — Two surveys are giving different predictions over whether Arizona millennials plan to buy a home here anytime soon.
A new BMO Harris Bank study says that 8 in 10 Arizonans between the ages of 18 and 34 plan to buy a house in the next five years.
“They must have confidence that either ‘I’m going to have a stable job’ or that they’re going to be able to save funds over a longer term,” said Tony Cesarana, a mortgage banker for BMO Harris.
But ASU School of Real Estate Director Michael Orr disagrees.
ASU released a study last week that said Valley home prices would not rise much for the rest of the year. It claimed that there was lower demand for houses, partly because millennials are not interested in buying them.
“The majority of millennials are putting homebuying off until later,” said Orr. “They’re putting a number of things off in life: They’re getting married later, they’re having children later. Buying a home is another thing that they’re doing later. The majority of them are renting and planning to do it for quite some time. They’ve kind of been inoculated against home ownership because of the foreclosure crisis.”
Cesarano agrees with Orr — for the short term.
“Short-term wise, they may not have the confidence because of student debt or other things that may have them pause in terms of home ownership,” Cesarano said. “But long-term, they feel confident over the next five years that they would be in a position to purchase a home, which is great.”
The BMO survey says that few people over the age of 55 plan to buy. It says only 5 percent plan to buy one this year and only 23 percent over the next five years. Cesarano said it may be because they’ve already been in their homes for a long time and intend to stay there.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier