PHOENIX — Two surveys are giving different predictions over whether Arizona millennials plan to buy a home here anytime soon.
A new BMO Harris Bank study says that 8 in 10 Arizonans between the ages of 18 and 34 plan to buy a house in the next five years.
“They must have confidence that either ‘I’m going to have a stable job’ or that they’re going to be able to save funds over a longer term,” said Tony Cesarana, a mortgage banker for BMO Harris.
But ASU School of Real Estate Director Michael Orr disagrees.
ASU released a study last week that said Valley home prices would not rise much for the rest of the year. It claimed that there was lower demand for houses, partly because millennials are not interested in buying them.
“The majority of millennials are putting homebuying off until later,” said Orr. “They’re putting a number of things off in life: They’re getting married later, they’re having children later. Buying a home is another thing that they’re doing later. The majority of them are renting and planning to do it for quite some time. They’ve kind of been inoculated against home ownership because of the foreclosure crisis.”
Cesarano agrees with Orr — for the short term.
“Short-term wise, they may not have the confidence because of student debt or other things that may have them pause in terms of home ownership,” Cesarano said. “But long-term, they feel confident over the next five years that they would be in a position to purchase a home, which is great.”
The BMO survey says that few people over the age of 55 plan to buy. It says only 5 percent plan to buy one this year and only 23 percent over the next five years. Cesarano said it may be because they’ve already been in their homes for a long time and intend to stay there.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them