PHOENIX — In honor of the upcoming one-year anniversary of the deadly Yarnell Hill Fire, photos taken in the aftermath are on display at Burton Barr Central Library in Phoenix.
Photographer George Berke won a Pulitzer Prize chronicling neighborhoods devastated by Hurricane Katrina. Last year, he took hundreds of photos in Yarnell just days after the community returned to scorched earth where 19 firefighters were lost on June 30.
“I was there to follow five residents who had returned home,” he said.
He was working for the Arizona Republic at the time when he said he took one of this favorite photos.
“[It] shows a completely scorched landscape, but a patch of green plants coming up through the scorched earth,”
Berke found it remarkable just 25 days after the fire.
“To me, it symbolizes some kind of hope,” he said.
He captured many other remarkable images, and not necessarily what you might imagine.
“What struck me was just how fabulously beautiful Yarnell was,” he recalled. “I’d never been there before and had no idea that it was this wonderful place.”
Berke’s exhibit, “The Yarnell Hill Fire: 25 Days Later,” is on display through Aug. 12.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night