PHOENIX — A ribbon-cutting ceremony took place Wednesday at a newly-refurbished apartment complex where young adults with autism will have a chance for more independence.
The 29 Palms apartments near 48th Street and McDowell Road were built in 1963. They were refurbished in a year-long project involving the Foundation for Senior Living, First Place AZ and the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center.
“This property that is opening (Wednesday) is co-locating 15 apartments for seniors and six two-bedroom apartments with young adults with autism,” said Denise Resnik, co-founder of SARRC.
The apartments will be completely furnished by Del Sol Furniture. The Foundation for Senior Living will provide each unit with specially-designed technology and communications equipment that will help the patients keep in touch with their families.
The six young autistic adults will be part of the First Place Academy’s Independent Living Program, which is run by First Place AZ and SARRC. Their rent will be paid through their tuition. The program is patterned after the Taft College Transition Program in California. The founder and creator of that program, Jeff Ross, recently retired, but has relocated to Phoenix to become First Place AZ’s executive director.
Resnik said is has been a 20-year dream to open a place like 29 palms. She said they have been looking far and wide for a suitable location.
“This is a result of evaluating 100 properties across the country, and building toward a bigger plan and a greater vision for families in terms of where their adults can live.”
A larger property that will house an academy for students, supported housing and apartments for residents, and a 10,000-square-foot leadership institute is in the planning stages.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development