PHOENIX — A ribbon-cutting ceremony took place Wednesday at a newly-refurbished apartment complex where young adults with autism will have a chance for more independence.
The 29 Palms apartments near 48th Street and McDowell Road were built in 1963. They were refurbished in a year-long project involving the Foundation for Senior Living, First Place AZ and the Southwest Autism Research and Resource Center.
“This property that is opening (Wednesday) is co-locating 15 apartments for seniors and six two-bedroom apartments with young adults with autism,” said Denise Resnik, co-founder of SARRC.
The apartments will be completely furnished by Del Sol Furniture. The Foundation for Senior Living will provide each unit with specially-designed technology and communications equipment that will help the patients keep in touch with their families.
The six young autistic adults will be part of the First Place Academy’s Independent Living Program, which is run by First Place AZ and SARRC. Their rent will be paid through their tuition. The program is patterned after the Taft College Transition Program in California. The founder and creator of that program, Jeff Ross, recently retired, but has relocated to Phoenix to become First Place AZ’s executive director.
Resnik said is has been a 20-year dream to open a place like 29 palms. She said they have been looking far and wide for a suitable location.
“This is a result of evaluating 100 properties across the country, and building toward a bigger plan and a greater vision for families in terms of where their adults can live.”
A larger property that will house an academy for students, supported housing and apartments for residents, and a 10,000-square-foot leadership institute is in the planning stages.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food