PHOENIX — A prize is being offered to encourage Valley residents to “dump the pump” Thursday and take public transportation.
Melissa Quillard, public information specialist for Valley Metro, said the annual Dump the Pump event is offering an extra incentive to Valley residents this year.
“Everyone who goes to ValleyMetro.org and signs the online pledge will be entered to win a staycation at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa,” she said.
Quillard wants residents to know that options for work extend way beyond their personal vehicles.
“You can of course take public transit, the bus or light rail. We have a great ride-matching system, if you want to find a carpool partner,” she explained. “We also have a vanpool program, and we encouraging biking to work or biking to connect to transit, walking to work, if you don’t live too far, and of course, teleworking, if that’s something that’s an option for you.”
The nationwide Dump the Pump event has been going on for several years, and this year, over 100 transit agencies across the country will take part.
Last year, Quillard said more than 1,100 people took the dump the pump pledge and Valley Metro hopes to beat those numbers on Thursday.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets