PHOENIX — A prize is being offered to encourage Valley residents to “dump the pump” Thursday and take public transportation.
Melissa Quillard, public information specialist for Valley Metro, said the annual Dump the Pump event is offering an extra incentive to Valley residents this year.
“Everyone who goes to ValleyMetro.org and signs the online pledge will be entered to win a staycation at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa,” she said.
Quillard wants residents to know that options for work extend way beyond their personal vehicles.
“You can of course take public transit, the bus or light rail. We have a great ride-matching system, if you want to find a carpool partner,” she explained. “We also have a vanpool program, and we encouraging biking to work or biking to connect to transit, walking to work, if you don’t live too far, and of course, teleworking, if that’s something that’s an option for you.”
The nationwide Dump the Pump event has been going on for several years, and this year, over 100 transit agencies across the country will take part.
Last year, Quillard said more than 1,100 people took the dump the pump pledge and Valley Metro hopes to beat those numbers on Thursday.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments