PHOENIX — A prize is being offered to encourage Valley residents to “dump the pump” Thursday and take public transportation.
Melissa Quillard, public information specialist for Valley Metro, said the annual Dump the Pump event is offering an extra incentive to Valley residents this year.
“Everyone who goes to ValleyMetro.org and signs the online pledge will be entered to win a staycation at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa,” she said.
Quillard wants residents to know that options for work extend way beyond their personal vehicles.
“You can of course take public transit, the bus or light rail. We have a great ride-matching system, if you want to find a carpool partner,” she explained. “We also have a vanpool program, and we encouraging biking to work or biking to connect to transit, walking to work, if you don’t live too far, and of course, teleworking, if that’s something that’s an option for you.”
The nationwide Dump the Pump event has been going on for several years, and this year, over 100 transit agencies across the country will take part.
Last year, Quillard said more than 1,100 people took the dump the pump pledge and Valley Metro hopes to beat those numbers on Thursday.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night