PHOENIX — A prize is being offered to encourage Valley residents to “dump the pump” Thursday and take public transportation.
Melissa Quillard, public information specialist for Valley Metro, said the annual Dump the Pump event is offering an extra incentive to Valley residents this year.
“Everyone who goes to ValleyMetro.org and signs the online pledge will be entered to win a staycation at the Arizona Grand Resort and Spa,” she said.
Quillard wants residents to know that options for work extend way beyond their personal vehicles.
“You can of course take public transit, the bus or light rail. We have a great ride-matching system, if you want to find a carpool partner,” she explained. “We also have a vanpool program, and we encouraging biking to work or biking to connect to transit, walking to work, if you don’t live too far, and of course, teleworking, if that’s something that’s an option for you.”
The nationwide Dump the Pump event has been going on for several years, and this year, over 100 transit agencies across the country will take part.
Last year, Quillard said more than 1,100 people took the dump the pump pledge and Valley Metro hopes to beat those numbers on Thursday.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development