PHOENIX — The Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center welcomed the newest member of its family Wednesday morning.
The newest addition to the Scottsdale-based animal sanctuary is a young, black bear named Heavenly. In March, the bear was found near the Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.
Heavenly’s mother died when the cub was young, and he was found extremely underweight. Guests of the resort began giving Heavenly food to help nourish him. Eventually, he was transported to Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care for proper treatment.
“They actually re-released him and he found his way back to people within a week,” said Kim Carr, educational director for Southwest Wildlife.
Since the bear kept begging for food from people, Carr said the resort was left with two options.
“One is euthanasia, and the second one is to find a sanctuary or zoo that could take him,” she said.
Carr said that’s when the Scottsdale sanctuary offered to raise Heavenly and give him a home for life.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night