PHOENIX — The Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center welcomed the newest member of its family Wednesday morning.
The newest addition to the Scottsdale-based animal sanctuary is a young, black bear named Heavenly. In March, the bear was found near the Heavenly Mountain Resort in South Lake Tahoe, Calif.
Heavenly’s mother died when the cub was young, and he was found extremely underweight. Guests of the resort began giving Heavenly food to help nourish him. Eventually, he was transported to Lake Tahoe Wildlife Care for proper treatment.
“They actually re-released him and he found his way back to people within a week,” said Kim Carr, educational director for Southwest Wildlife.
Since the bear kept begging for food from people, Carr said the resort was left with two options.
“One is euthanasia, and the second one is to find a sanctuary or zoo that could take him,” she said.
Carr said that’s when the Scottsdale sanctuary offered to raise Heavenly and give him a home for life.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy