PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council approved a measure Wednesday to raise rates at parking meters around the city.
The proposal will see meters priced anywhere from $0.50 to $4 an hour based on demand and the nature of events are happening nearby. The higher-priced meters will likely be those closest to Chase Field and US Airways Center during games, concerts and other major events.
The proposal also would lengthen the number of hours meters are active daily.
“If this is adopted, the new hours would be from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday,” said Councilman Daniel Valenzuela.
Valenzuela said that a council subcommittee originally considered charging a $6-an-hour rate.
“We felt, as a subcommittee, that $6 would be a little steep,” he said. “We voted to keep the maximum at $4.”
Valenzuela said he believes the changes could pump a lot of money into the city.
“Currently, the parking meters bring in approximately $1.6 million (annually),” the councilman said. “It is believed that an additional $2 million can be raised, according to city staff.”
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this reporter.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food