PHOENIX — The Phoenix City Council approved a measure Wednesday to raise rates at parking meters around the city.
The proposal will see meters priced anywhere from $0.50 to $4 an hour based on demand and the nature of events are happening nearby. The higher-priced meters will likely be those closest to Chase Field and US Airways Center during games, concerts and other major events.
The proposal also would lengthen the number of hours meters are active daily.
“If this is adopted, the new hours would be from 8 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Sunday,” said Councilman Daniel Valenzuela.
Valenzuela said that a council subcommittee originally considered charging a $6-an-hour rate.
“We felt, as a subcommittee, that $6 would be a little steep,” he said. “We voted to keep the maximum at $4.”
Valenzuela said he believes the changes could pump a lot of money into the city.
“Currently, the parking meters bring in approximately $1.6 million (annually),” the councilman said. “It is believed that an additional $2 million can be raised, according to city staff.”
KTAR’s Bob McClay contributed to this reporter.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier