PHOENIX — A man was arrested Monday for allegedly throwing a puppy from a moving vehicle last week, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said.
Cornville, Ariz., resident Joseph Lee Kennedy, 27, was arrested for two felony counts of cruelty to animals, as well as possession of dangerous drugs and paraphernalia, the YCSO said.
Witnesses originally reported someone throwing a small dog from a vehicle traveling along Cornville Road just before 9 a.m. on June 11. The vehicle was reportedly traveling about 50 mph, the YCSO said.
Authorities said the puppy was recovered from the side of the road and treated at a local emergency veterinarian clinic. The dog suffered significant neurological issues from the impact, they said.
County officials began searching for Kennedy on Monday afternoon following media reports, and a deputy spotted the man in the back of a truck stopped in a Cottonwood convenience store parking lot.
The YCSO added that a search of Kennedy’s property revealed three personal-use packages of methamphetamine as well as related paraphernalia.
Officials said Kennedy had an 8-month-old son in the moving vehicle last week. A friend was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident. After his arrest Monday, deputies asked Kennedy where his son was, and he refused to provide the location. Authorities eventually found the child in good health in Cottonwood under the care of a babysitter, and Children’s Protective Services took custody of the boy.
Kennedy was booked at the Camp Verde Detention center and remains in custody on a $17,500 bond, the YCSO said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night