PHOENIX — A man was arrested Monday for allegedly throwing a puppy from a moving vehicle last week, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said.
Cornville, Ariz., resident Joseph Lee Kennedy, 27, was arrested for two felony counts of cruelty to animals, as well as possession of dangerous drugs and paraphernalia, the YCSO said.
Witnesses originally reported someone throwing a small dog from a vehicle traveling along Cornville Road just before 9 a.m. on June 11. The vehicle was reportedly traveling about 50 mph, the YCSO said.
Authorities said the puppy was recovered from the side of the road and treated at a local emergency veterinarian clinic. The dog suffered significant neurological issues from the impact, they said.
County officials began searching for Kennedy on Monday afternoon following media reports, and a deputy spotted the man in the back of a truck stopped in a Cottonwood convenience store parking lot.
The YCSO added that a search of Kennedy’s property revealed three personal-use packages of methamphetamine as well as related paraphernalia.
Officials said Kennedy had an 8-month-old son in the moving vehicle last week. A friend was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident. After his arrest Monday, deputies asked Kennedy where his son was, and he refused to provide the location. Authorities eventually found the child in good health in Cottonwood under the care of a babysitter, and Children’s Protective Services took custody of the boy.
Kennedy was booked at the Camp Verde Detention center and remains in custody on a $17,500 bond, the YCSO said.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy