PHOENIX — A man was arrested Monday for allegedly throwing a puppy from a moving vehicle last week, the Yavapai County Sheriff’s Office said.
Cornville, Ariz., resident Joseph Lee Kennedy, 27, was arrested for two felony counts of cruelty to animals, as well as possession of dangerous drugs and paraphernalia, the YCSO said.
Witnesses originally reported someone throwing a small dog from a vehicle traveling along Cornville Road just before 9 a.m. on June 11. The vehicle was reportedly traveling about 50 mph, the YCSO said.
Authorities said the puppy was recovered from the side of the road and treated at a local emergency veterinarian clinic. The dog suffered significant neurological issues from the impact, they said.
County officials began searching for Kennedy on Monday afternoon following media reports, and a deputy spotted the man in the back of a truck stopped in a Cottonwood convenience store parking lot.
The YCSO added that a search of Kennedy’s property revealed three personal-use packages of methamphetamine as well as related paraphernalia.
Officials said Kennedy had an 8-month-old son in the moving vehicle last week. A friend was driving the vehicle at the time of the incident. After his arrest Monday, deputies asked Kennedy where his son was, and he refused to provide the location. Authorities eventually found the child in good health in Cottonwood under the care of a babysitter, and Children’s Protective Services took custody of the boy.
Kennedy was booked at the Camp Verde Detention center and remains in custody on a $17,500 bond, the YCSO said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier