PHOENIX — A free language learning app is quickly becoming the next must-have tool for one Valley fire department.
Crews at Goodyear Fire Department have been using Duolingo to help them learn Spanish in an effort to communicate with their city’s residents more effectively.
Fire Capt. Stephen Gilman said the app has helped crews get a working base to speak with people who speak little to no English.
“They’re able to get the gist of the conversation (and), more importantly, they’re able to provide assistance to that patient,” Gilman said. “Trying to figure out what’s going on, how long it’s been going on, where the pain is at, versus just basically pointing and grunting.”
Gilman said he heard about the app about a year ago and it began to spread through the department through word of mouth. Roughly a quarter of the department is using it, Gilman said.
He said the app hasn’t made anyone completely fluent in Spanish, but has given many of them enough of a grip to communicate in critical situations.
“When somebody’s speaking a foreign language and trying to describe chest pain and nobody knows what’s going on, it makes it much more difficult,” Gilman said.
Users navigate through various exercises that cover skills such as vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing and speaking.
Gilman said parts of the app even deal specifically with medical terminology.
“Portions of the program, as you go on further down, that deal specifically with medical,” he said. “A lot of our guys have found those helpful.”
Having the opportunity to learn a language and through a free program has been very helpful to the department Gilman said, because the department cannot afford to pay to teach crews a second language and similar programs can cost hundreds of dollars.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them