PHOENIX — A free language learning app is quickly becoming the next must-have tool for one Valley fire department.
Crews at Goodyear Fire Department have been using Duolingo to help them learn Spanish in an effort to communicate with their city’s residents more effectively.
Fire Capt. Stephen Gilman said the app has helped crews get a working base to speak with people who speak little to no English.
“They’re able to get the gist of the conversation (and), more importantly, they’re able to provide assistance to that patient,” Gilman said. “Trying to figure out what’s going on, how long it’s been going on, where the pain is at, versus just basically pointing and grunting.”
Gilman said he heard about the app about a year ago and it began to spread through the department through word of mouth. Roughly a quarter of the department is using it, Gilman said.
He said the app hasn’t made anyone completely fluent in Spanish, but has given many of them enough of a grip to communicate in critical situations.
“When somebody’s speaking a foreign language and trying to describe chest pain and nobody knows what’s going on, it makes it much more difficult,” Gilman said.
Users navigate through various exercises that cover skills such as vocabulary, grammar, reading, writing and speaking.
Gilman said parts of the app even deal specifically with medical terminology.
“Portions of the program, as you go on further down, that deal specifically with medical,” he said. “A lot of our guys have found those helpful.”
Having the opportunity to learn a language and through a free program has been very helpful to the department Gilman said, because the department cannot afford to pay to teach crews a second language and similar programs can cost hundreds of dollars.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier