PHOENIX — Arizona began issuing newly designed driver’s licenses on Monday, but the new design and features mean about a two-week delay between when people will actually receive their new license in the mail, which could mean hassles for travelers needing valid ID.
In the meantime, the Motor Vehicle Division is issuing temporary licenses and the Transportation Safety Authority said it will begin accommodating people with those temporary licenses.
“Our TSA officers throughout the state of Arizona are aware of the new temporary driver’s license being issued by the DMV in this state, so we will be accepting them,” said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez.
Melendez said as he understands it, the MVD will not be making people surrender their expired or old license, but will instead be punching holes in them so people can bring that alongside their temporary license.
“It’s only going to be a piece a paper but there will be a photo on there, he said. “The most important thing is that passengers will be given back their expired driver’s license so if they just bring that to the airport with them they won’t have any trouble getting through security.”
If possible, Melendez said it’s still a good idea to bring another form of acceptable identification such as a passport or military ID card though, because while Arizona TSA agents are familiar with the new temporary licenses, travelers may run into trouble elsewhere.
“Just to be on the safe side it’s a smart idea to bring a second form of ID,” he said.
Travelers can visit TSA.gov or download the My TSA smartphone app for more information about acceptable forms of ID when traveling.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food