PHOENIX — Arizona began issuing newly designed driver’s licenses on Monday, but the new design and features mean about a two-week delay between when people will actually receive their new license in the mail, which could mean hassles for travelers needing valid ID.
In the meantime, the Motor Vehicle Division is issuing temporary licenses and the Transportation Safety Authority said it will begin accommodating people with those temporary licenses.
“Our TSA officers throughout the state of Arizona are aware of the new temporary driver’s license being issued by the DMV in this state, so we will be accepting them,” said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez.
Melendez said as he understands it, the MVD will not be making people surrender their expired or old license, but will instead be punching holes in them so people can bring that alongside their temporary license.
“It’s only going to be a piece a paper but there will be a photo on there, he said. “The most important thing is that passengers will be given back their expired driver’s license so if they just bring that to the airport with them they won’t have any trouble getting through security.”
If possible, Melendez said it’s still a good idea to bring another form of acceptable identification such as a passport or military ID card though, because while Arizona TSA agents are familiar with the new temporary licenses, travelers may run into trouble elsewhere.
“Just to be on the safe side it’s a smart idea to bring a second form of ID,” he said.
Travelers can visit TSA.gov or download the My TSA smartphone app for more information about acceptable forms of ID when traveling.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development