PHOENIX — Arizona began issuing newly designed driver’s licenses on Monday, but the new design and features mean about a two-week delay between when people will actually receive their new license in the mail, which could mean hassles for travelers needing valid ID.
In the meantime, the Motor Vehicle Division is issuing temporary licenses and the Transportation Safety Authority said it will begin accommodating people with those temporary licenses.
“Our TSA officers throughout the state of Arizona are aware of the new temporary driver’s license being issued by the DMV in this state, so we will be accepting them,” said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez.
Melendez said as he understands it, the MVD will not be making people surrender their expired or old license, but will instead be punching holes in them so people can bring that alongside their temporary license.
“It’s only going to be a piece a paper but there will be a photo on there, he said. “The most important thing is that passengers will be given back their expired driver’s license so if they just bring that to the airport with them they won’t have any trouble getting through security.”
If possible, Melendez said it’s still a good idea to bring another form of acceptable identification such as a passport or military ID card though, because while Arizona TSA agents are familiar with the new temporary licenses, travelers may run into trouble elsewhere.
“Just to be on the safe side it’s a smart idea to bring a second form of ID,” he said.
Travelers can visit TSA.gov or download the My TSA smartphone app for more information about acceptable forms of ID when traveling.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night