PHOENIX — Arizona began issuing newly designed driver’s licenses on Monday, but the new design and features mean about a two-week delay between when people will actually receive their new license in the mail, which could mean hassles for travelers needing valid ID.
In the meantime, the Motor Vehicle Division is issuing temporary licenses and the Transportation Safety Authority said it will begin accommodating people with those temporary licenses.
“Our TSA officers throughout the state of Arizona are aware of the new temporary driver’s license being issued by the DMV in this state, so we will be accepting them,” said TSA spokesman Nico Melendez.
Melendez said as he understands it, the MVD will not be making people surrender their expired or old license, but will instead be punching holes in them so people can bring that alongside their temporary license.
“It’s only going to be a piece a paper but there will be a photo on there, he said. “The most important thing is that passengers will be given back their expired driver’s license so if they just bring that to the airport with them they won’t have any trouble getting through security.”
If possible, Melendez said it’s still a good idea to bring another form of acceptable identification such as a passport or military ID card though, because while Arizona TSA agents are familiar with the new temporary licenses, travelers may run into trouble elsewhere.
“Just to be on the safe side it’s a smart idea to bring a second form of ID,” he said.
Travelers can visit TSA.gov or download the My TSA smartphone app for more information about acceptable forms of ID when traveling.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America