PHOENIX — Arizona Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake urged the Inspector General of the Department of Veteran affairs Monday to investigate claims of retaliation against whistleblowers from VA hospital managers.
In a letter addressed to Robert Griffin, McCain and Flake wrote that he should investigate, “how management contemporaneously handled whistleblower complaints within the VA.”
Both senators stated, since news of the scandal of mismanagement and neglect at VA hospitals broke, current and former VA employees have complained they were harassed, demoted and even fired for blowing the whistle.
“They just tried to make life as miserable as possible for me, and I just couldn’t physically take it anymore.” Former Phoenix VA doctor Dr. Sam Foote said.
Foote was the initial whistleblower in the VA scandal. He said he was forced into retirement after sounding off on improper practices.
“If they don’t put some people in jail, or fine them or fire them this practice is just going to go on forever,” he said.
The former VA employee said he hopes to see more protection for whistleblowers as the investigation continues into the VA scandal.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments