PHOENIX — Arizona Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake urged the Inspector General of the Department of Veteran affairs Monday to investigate claims of retaliation against whistleblowers from VA hospital managers.
In a letter addressed to Robert Griffin, McCain and Flake wrote that he should investigate, “how management contemporaneously handled whistleblower complaints within the VA.”
Both senators stated, since news of the scandal of mismanagement and neglect at VA hospitals broke, current and former VA employees have complained they were harassed, demoted and even fired for blowing the whistle.
“They just tried to make life as miserable as possible for me, and I just couldn’t physically take it anymore.” Former Phoenix VA doctor Dr. Sam Foote said.
Foote was the initial whistleblower in the VA scandal. He said he was forced into retirement after sounding off on improper practices.
“If they don’t put some people in jail, or fine them or fire them this practice is just going to go on forever,” he said.
The former VA employee said he hopes to see more protection for whistleblowers as the investigation continues into the VA scandal.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night