PHOENIX — Arizona Sens. John McCain and Jeff Flake urged the Inspector General of the Department of Veteran affairs Monday to investigate claims of retaliation against whistleblowers from VA hospital managers.
In a letter addressed to Robert Griffin, McCain and Flake wrote that he should investigate, “how management contemporaneously handled whistleblower complaints within the VA.”
Both senators stated, since news of the scandal of mismanagement and neglect at VA hospitals broke, current and former VA employees have complained they were harassed, demoted and even fired for blowing the whistle.
“They just tried to make life as miserable as possible for me, and I just couldn’t physically take it anymore.” Former Phoenix VA doctor Dr. Sam Foote said.
Foote was the initial whistleblower in the VA scandal. He said he was forced into retirement after sounding off on improper practices.
“If they don’t put some people in jail, or fine them or fire them this practice is just going to go on forever,” he said.
The former VA employee said he hopes to see more protection for whistleblowers as the investigation continues into the VA scandal.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon