PHOENIX — A group of cyclists stopped in Phoenix Tuesday as part of their “Journey of Hope.”
The 28 riders and eight support team members pulled up arrived at ASU’s downtown campus Tuesday morning. Each raised $5,500 for the ride that started in Long Beach, Calif., and will end Aug. 2 in Washington, D.C.
“It’s through an organization called Push America, which is the national philanthropy owned and operated by Pi Kappa Phi fraternity,” said Keegan Girodo, a former ASU student who is one of the riders. “We’re doing this because we serve people with disabilities.”
The riders planned to stay the night in Phoenix. Thursday, they will visit SpoFit, a gym that works with people with disabilities in Phoenix.
“We’ll be doing a summer camp with them, and we’ll also do athletic sports that include disabilities, like wheelchair basketball and stuff like that,” Girodo said.
The riders leave Phoenix Thursday, and have stops in Globe and Lakeside before crossing into New Mexico later this week. They are asking for donations and are hoping to raise $500,000 for the disabled. The money goes to each organization the riders visit during their trip.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.