PHOENIX — A Valley dog died Tuesday after a veterinarian removed a tumor weighing more than nine pounds.
The 7-year-old boxer mix, Myla, underwent the procedure at North Scottsdale Animal Hospital, where a veterinarian removed the 9.3-pound tumor.
The surgery was arranged and paid for by a pet sanctuary.
“Myla was turned into county by her owner who could not afford to take care of her, in short,” said Kim Sasso, the director of foster and medical care at Forever Loved Pet Sanctuary.
Sasso said the sanctuary received help paying for the surgery through a fundraising campaign.
“When things come up like this — when kids need help, when dogs need help — people can be awesome,” she said.
The sanctuary originally said Myla survived the surgery. She passed away several hours later.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night