PHOENIX — The next time you get a driver’s license in Arizona, expect not only a new look, but a new process, as well.
In an effort to enhance security and safety, the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division has completely redesigned the state-issued driver’s licenses and IDs.
“The design of the driver’s license has numerous security features that have been added,” said ADOT spokesman Harold Sanders.
The high-tech look borrows from anti-counterfeiting methods used in currency and adds an additional picture of the driver.
Another layer of security means drivers won’t walk out of the MVD office with your new license the same way, however.
“You’re not going to receive your license the same day,” explained Sanders. “What you’re going to receive is a temporary, which is going to be good for 30 days.”
The permanent license will be mailed about two weeks later to make sure the correct address is used.
Current licenses are still valid until they expire or until the photo needs to be refreshed.
The procedure change went into effect Monday.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns