PHOENIX — The next time you get a driver’s license in Arizona, expect not only a new look, but a new process, as well.
In an effort to enhance security and safety, the Arizona Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Division has completely redesigned the state-issued driver’s licenses and IDs.
“The design of the driver’s license has numerous security features that have been added,” said ADOT spokesman Harold Sanders.
The high-tech look borrows from anti-counterfeiting methods used in currency and adds an additional picture of the driver.
Another layer of security means drivers won’t walk out of the MVD office with your new license the same way, however.
“You’re not going to receive your license the same day,” explained Sanders. “What you’re going to receive is a temporary, which is going to be good for 30 days.”
The permanent license will be mailed about two weeks later to make sure the correct address is used.
Current licenses are still valid until they expire or until the photo needs to be refreshed.
The procedure change went into effect Monday.
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes