PHOENIX — The Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) is now weighing its options after a presentation by a student safety task force on Monday.
The Statewide Student Safety Task Force was charged with coming up with suggestions for ABOR on how to make each of Arizona’s three public universities safer.
Eileen Klein, president of ABOR, said the task force’s suggestions covered a wide range of topics.
“[From] where we can make improvements to our practices, to our messaging out to students and parents and the community, changes to policy and where we can strengthen our partnerships,” Klein said.
Klein said one of the suggestions included providing more on-campus opportunities for students to keep them busy and away from alcohol and parties.
“Student-lead campus activities that students can go to as a substitute for being off-campus or have alternatives to parties that sometimes lead to some of the incidents that we’re most concerned about,” she said.
Specifically for ASU, Klein said there will be a strong focus on law enforcement.
“There are going to be new operations put in place between the City of Tempe and the ASU police,” she said. “There are recommendations on how we can improve our wireless communication and we’re also looking at other ways that we can get some outside assessment of our level of policing resources.”
Tempe’s Vice Mayor Onnie Shekerjian said there are two main issues police face in keeping ASU students safe.
“[One is] alcohol-related incidents and the other one is sexual assaults,” Shekerjian said.
Shekerjian said it is time for ASU police officers and the Tempe Police Department to upgrade their technology and work together to patrol the city.
“We may be using older methods and maybe not have the resources we need to police effectively at a large university in the 21st century,” she said.
The vice mayor said she hopes that if the two police departments collaborate more, it will send a clear message to students about alcohol.
“This is not acceptable behavior and if you’re underage, don’t even think about it,” Shekerjian said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food