PHOENIX — The Arizona Board of Regents (ABOR) is now weighing its options after a presentation by a student safety task force on Monday.
The Statewide Student Safety Task Force was charged with coming up with suggestions for ABOR on how to make each of Arizona’s three public universities safer.
Eileen Klein, president of ABOR, said the task force’s suggestions covered a wide range of topics.
“[From] where we can make improvements to our practices, to our messaging out to students and parents and the community, changes to policy and where we can strengthen our partnerships,” Klein said.
Klein said one of the suggestions included providing more on-campus opportunities for students to keep them busy and away from alcohol and parties.
“Student-lead campus activities that students can go to as a substitute for being off-campus or have alternatives to parties that sometimes lead to some of the incidents that we’re most concerned about,” she said.
Specifically for ASU, Klein said there will be a strong focus on law enforcement.
“There are going to be new operations put in place between the City of Tempe and the ASU police,” she said. “There are recommendations on how we can improve our wireless communication and we’re also looking at other ways that we can get some outside assessment of our level of policing resources.”
Tempe’s Vice Mayor Onnie Shekerjian said there are two main issues police face in keeping ASU students safe.
“[One is] alcohol-related incidents and the other one is sexual assaults,” Shekerjian said.
Shekerjian said it is time for ASU police officers and the Tempe Police Department to upgrade their technology and work together to patrol the city.
“We may be using older methods and maybe not have the resources we need to police effectively at a large university in the 21st century,” she said.
The vice mayor said she hopes that if the two police departments collaborate more, it will send a clear message to students about alcohol.
“This is not acceptable behavior and if you’re underage, don’t even think about it,” Shekerjian said.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier