PHOENIX — A 12-acre wildfire that broke out Monday
afternoon in northern Arizona’s scenic Oak Creek Canyon just north of a blaze
that charred 31 square miles last month was 25 percent contained by nightfall.
The so-called Junipine Fire started about 3:30 p.m. Monday and was believed to
have been sparked by a downed power line, authorities said.
Pushed by wind gusts, authorities say the fire was at about 20 acres and burning north toward the charred
remains of the human-caused Slide Fire, which started May 20 near Slide Rock State Park in
the scenic canyon between Sedona and Flagstaff.
“It looks like it’s moving north,” Sedona Fire Department spokesman Gary
Johnson said. “When it hits that black area, it’s going to lay down or not burn
Coconino National Forest officials said crews were cautiously optimistic of
having the fire fully contained by Tuesday.
No structures were immediately threatened. But the Junipine Lodge and about a
dozen nearby homes were under a mandatory evacuation order as a precaution,
affecting about 40 people, Coconino County sheriff’s officials said.
They said Oak Creek Canyon residents north of Junipine to the bottom of the
switchbacks were given a pre-evacuation notification.
A shelter was being set up for evacuees at a middle school in Flagstaff.
Highway 89A from the northern Sedona city limits to Slide Rock State Park was
partially closed by the state Department of Transportation.
Authorities said about 70 firefighters were battling the wildfire along with
four engines and an air attack.
KTAR’S Jim Cross and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.