PHOENIX — The U.S. is above nearly every other country when it comes to families relocating.
The Census Bureau reported that 11.7 percent of the population moved between 2012 and 2013. And 30 percent of those who moved did so for “family-related reasons.”
Gilbert has made it to the number nine spot in the list of the top ten best U.S. cities for families, according to Desert News.
With a population of 221,140, Gilbert ranked third for affordability and sixth for socio-economic environment.
The median income is $71,207, which is $25,000 higher than the median income of the state.
No.1 on the list was Plano, Texas, which ranked first for both socio-economic environment and education, and seventh for both affordability and health and safety.
Following the city of Plano, Texas was Sioux Falls, S.D., Overland Park, Kan., Fremont, Calif., Irvine, Calif., Virginia Beach, Va., Lincoln, Neb., Anchorage, Ala. and Amarillo, Texas.
The rankings were based on safety, affordability, education, child care and the social and economic environment of the city.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck