PHOENIX — The U.S. is above nearly every other country when it comes to families relocating.
The Census Bureau reported that 11.7 percent of the population moved between 2012 and 2013. And 30 percent of those who moved did so for “family-related reasons.”
Gilbert has made it to the number nine spot in the list of the top ten best U.S. cities for families, according to Desert News.
With a population of 221,140, Gilbert ranked third for affordability and sixth for socio-economic environment.
The median income is $71,207, which is $25,000 higher than the median income of the state.
No.1 on the list was Plano, Texas, which ranked first for both socio-economic environment and education, and seventh for both affordability and health and safety.
Following the city of Plano, Texas was Sioux Falls, S.D., Overland Park, Kan., Fremont, Calif., Irvine, Calif., Virginia Beach, Va., Lincoln, Neb., Anchorage, Ala. and Amarillo, Texas.
The rankings were based on safety, affordability, education, child care and the social and economic environment of the city.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night