PHOENIX — Summertime means taking a much-needed and anticipated break from work or school. For some, however, it also means crowded beaches and high prices.
An estimated 63 percent of Americans surveyed by Skift said they will not be taking a vacation this summer for this reason.
According to U.S. News, Phoenix is among the top five destinations to avoid the crowds, while also staying affordable.
Some of the best tourist attractions in the Valley of the Sun include $10 Tuesdays at the Phoenix Zoo from May through August, the Desert Botanical Garden’s flashlight tours every Thursday and Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. or great hotel deals in Sedona, Ariz. for a summer getaway.
New Orleans took the number one spot for most affordable destination with its frequent rainfall and average temperatures in the 90s.
Other tourist spots that followed were Vail, Colo., St. Lucia, and Palm Springs, Calif., respectively.
The best time to travel during the summer is early August. That way, you can take advantage of late-season deals and avoid the Fourth of July crowd.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food