PHOENIX — Summertime means taking a much-needed and anticipated break from work or school. For some, however, it also means crowded beaches and high prices.
An estimated 63 percent of Americans surveyed by Skift said they will not be taking a vacation this summer for this reason.
According to U.S. News, Phoenix is among the top five destinations to avoid the crowds, while also staying affordable.
Some of the best tourist attractions in the Valley of the Sun include $10 Tuesdays at the Phoenix Zoo from May through August, the Desert Botanical Garden’s flashlight tours every Thursday and Saturday from 7 to 9 p.m. or great hotel deals in Sedona, Ariz. for a summer getaway.
New Orleans took the number one spot for most affordable destination with its frequent rainfall and average temperatures in the 90s.
Other tourist spots that followed were Vail, Colo., St. Lucia, and Palm Springs, Calif., respectively.
The best time to travel during the summer is early August. That way, you can take advantage of late-season deals and avoid the Fourth of July crowd.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier