PHOENIX — Watching kids around water and making sure a pool has a fence and locking gate are the most common pieces of advice for homeowners with swimming pools.
Here’s another piece: Homeowners should yake a look at their insurance policy to make sure that someone’s accident around the pool doesn’t leave their bank account high and dry.
“Ask your insurance agent regarding limits of liability on your homeowners insurance,” said John Candaso, an insurance agent for Triple A Arizona.
“We do encourage you to increase your liability limits from $300,000 up to $1 million.”
Candaso said some things about a pool may cause problems with an insurance company.
“If you have a diving board or a slide, insurance companies will charge more,” he said. “They kind of frown upon pools that have those. A lot of insurance companies won’t even cover you if you have a pool or a slide.”
Candaso said that an insurance company may raise rates 3 to 5 percent upon installation of a pool.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development