PHOENIX — Watching kids around water and making sure a pool has a fence and locking gate are the most common pieces of advice for homeowners with swimming pools.
Here’s another piece: Homeowners should yake a look at their insurance policy to make sure that someone’s accident around the pool doesn’t leave their bank account high and dry.
“Ask your insurance agent regarding limits of liability on your homeowners insurance,” said John Candaso, an insurance agent for Triple A Arizona.
“We do encourage you to increase your liability limits from $300,000 up to $1 million.”
Candaso said some things about a pool may cause problems with an insurance company.
“If you have a diving board or a slide, insurance companies will charge more,” he said. “They kind of frown upon pools that have those. A lot of insurance companies won’t even cover you if you have a pool or a slide.”
Candaso said that an insurance company may raise rates 3 to 5 percent upon installation of a pool.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night