PHOENIX — Watching kids around water and making sure a pool has a fence and locking gate are the most common pieces of advice for homeowners with swimming pools.
Here’s another piece: Homeowners should yake a look at their insurance policy to make sure that someone’s accident around the pool doesn’t leave their bank account high and dry.
“Ask your insurance agent regarding limits of liability on your homeowners insurance,” said John Candaso, an insurance agent for Triple A Arizona.
“We do encourage you to increase your liability limits from $300,000 up to $1 million.”
Candaso said some things about a pool may cause problems with an insurance company.
“If you have a diving board or a slide, insurance companies will charge more,” he said. “They kind of frown upon pools that have those. A lot of insurance companies won’t even cover you if you have a pool or a slide.”
Candaso said that an insurance company may raise rates 3 to 5 percent upon installation of a pool.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.