PHOENIX – The city of Tempe has set a new goal for itself when it comes to renewable energy.
The city council passed an initiative Thursday to have 20 percent of the city’s property using renewable energy, primarily solar, by 2025. Supporters, such as, Bret Fanshaw with Environment Arizona said the move will have strong benefits for the city.
“Solar benefits communities like Tempe because it is pollution free and it has zero fuel costs,” he said. “It’s also going to limit air pollution and help tackle climate change, which we’re obviously concerned about.”
Fanshaw said he did not know the initial installation costs to meet the requirements, but said solar installations at the South Water Treatment Facility are expected to save the $2.3 million over 20 years and installing more solar on other Tempe city property will continue to save money.
Tempe has long had a focus on eco-friendly initiatives and was one of the first cities in the Valley with a recycling program. Fanshaw said the new goal is continuing to support a better environment and goes above and beyond standards.
“It is above the state renewable energy standard, so that’s great,” he said. “We definitely think the city can hit (the goal) and go above and beyond that goal as well.”
The initiative was put forward by a sustainability group in the city council that included Tempe Mayor Mark Mitchell, Vice Mayor Onnie Shekerjian and Councilmember Shana Ellis, according to a press release.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon