PHOENIX – A new study is adding to the long list of reasons to quit smoking.
The study from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology found that men who smoke while trying to conceive could be passing along health risks to their offspring.
Courtney Ward, chief of the Office of Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Program for the Arizona Department of Health Services, said it’s no longer just women who smoke during conception that can be passing on risks to kids.
“Using tobacco and engaging in sexual activity, for the material and the paternal side, can have effect on the offspring,” Ward said.
Ward said the risks associated with men smoking while trying to conceive versus women smoking is not nearly as significant but it does present risks.
“The major contributions that have been found are genetic alterations, specifically leukemia and other cancer causing diseases,” she said.
The study looked at men in their early 30s, and it’s not clear if men who previously smoked but quit still had an effect on offspring, Ward said.
Ward wants to remind people that it’s never too late to quit smoking and Arizona’s anti-smoking program called CIGNAL offers free help and cessation services. That can be visited at www.thecignal.com.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night