PHOENIX – A new study is adding to the long list of reasons to quit smoking.
The study from the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology found that men who smoke while trying to conceive could be passing along health risks to their offspring.
Courtney Ward, chief of the Office of Tobacco Prevention and Cessation Program for the Arizona Department of Health Services, said it’s no longer just women who smoke during conception that can be passing on risks to kids.
“Using tobacco and engaging in sexual activity, for the material and the paternal side, can have effect on the offspring,” Ward said.
Ward said the risks associated with men smoking while trying to conceive versus women smoking is not nearly as significant but it does present risks.
“The major contributions that have been found are genetic alterations, specifically leukemia and other cancer causing diseases,” she said.
The study looked at men in their early 30s, and it’s not clear if men who previously smoked but quit still had an effect on offspring, Ward said.
Ward wants to remind people that it’s never too late to quit smoking and Arizona’s anti-smoking program called CIGNAL offers free help and cessation services. That can be visited at www.thecignal.com.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food