It would have been hard to beat this Father’s Day gift.
Dating back to over 50 years ago, recent college graduate Cecil R. Sims purchased a 1962 Chevy half-ton pickup truck from Courtesy Chevrolet for $1,700.00.
The truck then stayed in in his family over the decades and racked up over 300,000 miles of fond memories.
But over the last 15 years, the truck has begun to peter into struggle.
So Sims’ son-in-law, Jim Anderson, and his wife thought it was time for a restoration. Since last December, Anderson rallied up family members and searched far and wide for the specific parts to fix the vehicle. They wanted to get the car ready for Father’s Day.
After spending five months deconstructing and rebuilding the truck, Anderson approached Courtesy Chevrolet about redelivering the truck to the show room floor on Saturday for a big unveiling.
“We had all of his family members and all of the people involved in rebuilding the truck which was quite considerable,” said Courtesy Chevrolet Sales and Marketing Manager Jason Church.
“It was a fantastic affair — everyone was there; definitely the best Father’s Day present I could imagine.”
Church said Sims didn’t catch on that the truck was his at first.
“He (Sims) was walking past the car and his daughter said, ‘That’s a nice looking truck,’ and he said, ‘You know, I used to have one exactly like that,'” Church said.
According to Church, Sims eventually proclaimed, “I think this is my truck!”
The pickup was painted back to its original color, beige with a white top.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns