PHOENIX — Church crimes like the one that occurred in Phoenix Wednesday night have a national organization calling on leaders of places of worship to take up arms to protect themselves and their congregations.
In the Phoenix incident, two priests were attacked at a Roman Catholic church in the downtown area. Father Kenneth Walker was killed, while Father Joseph Terra was critically injured.
Chuck Chadwick is the founder and president of the National Organization for Church Security and Management (NOCSSM).
During a Saturday appearance on KTAR’s Arizona’s Morning News Weekend show, Chadwick told co-hosts Bob McClay and Becky Lynn that church crimes are happening all too often.
“There is no more sanctity of a church,” Chadwick said.
He added that most of the crime at churches involves theft.
“It used to be that the only thing worth stealing in a church was the organ, which you couldn’t get out, and the microphone,” said Chadwick. “Now it’s all sorts of high tech gear and projectors.”
And then there’s the money from the collection plate.
“We all know where the money is on Sunday night.”
There’s also a lot of domestic violence. Chadwick said that disagreements between married couples at home sometimes are manifested in a family fight at church.
Chadwick noted that police can’t always get to a church in time to stop something bad from happening. He thinks the church needs to have someone who has a gun.
“You want to have at least one armed person in case something does happen,” said Chadwick, who thinks that there’s evidence in the Bible that churches should protect themselves.
He said that in Old Testament times, there were gatekeepers that watched over the temple.
That’s the name of a part of the NOCSSM organization. Gatekeepers Security Services provides firearms training to church security teams.
“We go in and train at least one armed defender for every congregation,” he said.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food